Regional History Museum / Minolta XD, Rokkor MD 35mm f2.8, Ilford Delta 100
Hirshhorn Museum, Washington DC / Konica Auto S3, Lomography Color 400
The building in the background was once Sofia’s public bathhouse that drew on the hot mineral springs beneath the city. It was completed in 1915 and was still in use as recently as 1986 when it finally closed down. Following a makeover part of the building reopened in 2015 as the surprisingly good Sofia Regional Historical Museum. While much of the interior has been reconstructed there is one area that retains the original bathhouse structure. Sofia Municipality has recently commissioned an architectural competition to develop a modern spa centre in the remainder of the building tapping making use of the mineral springs that still flow. The fountain is an integral part of the overall design and stands in a pleasant pedestrian square which is a great spot for a break or people watching.
The Soviet War Memorial, or The Monument to the Soviet Army as it is properly known was built in 1954 to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the ‘liberation’ of Bulgaria by the Red Army. There have been campaigns to have it demolished or at least removed but so far they have not succeeded. The inscription reads ‘For the Soviet Army of liberation from the grateful Bulgarian people.’