My Konica Auto S3 had a little problem. The frame counter which should reset to ‘S’ when the back is opened would instead reset to ’18’. I say a little problem because the frame counter worked normally apart from this one issue. When it reached frame ’36’ I was still able to wind on and shoot to the end of the film even though the counter no longer counted. The one problem was that when I got into the second half of a loaded film I had no idea how many frames were left.
I couldn’t justify sending the camera away for such a minor problem since repairs on these old (around 1973) rangefinders are expensive. So I decided to try to do it myself. With some advice and guidance from a couple of classic camera repair groups and a few other sources I found online I took the top off the camera, worked out what the problem was and managed to fix it.
I also have a Konica C35 that has a murky viewfinder so now that I’ve succeeded with the Auto S3 I’m tempted to take the top of the C35 and see if I can clean that up, but that will be a job for the New Year.