The Soviet War Memorial, or The Monument to the Soviet Army, as it is properly known, has stood since 1954, having been built to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the ‘liberation’ of Bulgaria by the Red Army. There have been campaigns to have it demolished or at least removed but so far they have not succeeded. The inscription reads “For the Soviet Army of liberation from the grateful Bulgarian people.”